Tuesday, September 23, 2008

X-Rays for Mason

Yesterday the boys and I were at the new house. Ethan was at school working hard and I had just put some toys out for Mason to play with while Jaden watched a cartoon. I had been out of the room just long enough to get downstairs when I heard Mason cry. I ran upstairs quickly as I could hear the distress in his cry. When I got upstairs Jaden and Mason were both in the places I had left him but Mason's lips had turned purple and he had a little indention on his face as if something had pushed against his skin.

I quickly picked him up and held him in my arms and tried to get Jaden to relay to me what had happened to his baby brother. As you may have guessed Jaden was not too helpful in communicating the events as they had happened. I was nervous at first because of his seemingly purple/blue lips indicating a lack of oxygen but soon had a new concern.... Mason spit-up and there were streaks of blood. My heart sank as I tried to comfort my sweet baby boy. I held him and rocked him assuring him that it was OK all the while I was in agony not knowing what was wrong with my little Mason.

Mason was breathing fine and his color had returned to his lips and I put him in my wrap to keep him close to me so that I would be aware if anything was wrong with him and got the other boys ready to go back to our house in Ofallon. We got home and Mason seemed fine but I have to say I didn't sleep well because I kept waking up to make sure he was breathing OK and that nothing was wrong with him.

This morning I was running errands when he spit-up and there were blood streaks again!?!?! I called the doctor immediately and they scheduled an appointment. I made the appointment at the doctors office (with the other two boys in tow) and the doctor could not find any reason for the blood so she sent us to the hospital to get x-rays to make sure that he hadn't swallowed anything. I took him to get the x-rays and they came back clear of any forgin objects. I was relived but then he spit-up again with blood streaks.... and then again. I called the doctor again and she said that she had a call in to a pediatric gastrointerologist and that she was waiting to hear back from this doctor before ordering any more tests.

And so here I sit... in my gut i think he is fine and then on the other hand I am terrified of the possibility that he is not fine. Mason... these past few months with you in my life have been priceless and I am so privileged to be your Mommy. It is because I am your Mommy that I feel a huge responsibility to make sure that you are safe and protected. It is at times like these when you get hurt that I wish I could shelter you from anything that might cause you pain. You are my precious little brown eyed boy... your smile warms my heart. I love you to the moon and back!!!

1 comment:

Tony and Tiffany said...

Linda, let me know if you need any help! I hope eveything is okay with Mason! Keep us updated!